I am very devastated at not only the loss of my son, Prince, but also by the way I am being characterized as a demon, psychopath, or murderer by the media and in the myriad of blogs who have done nothing but speculate, without knowing any of the facts. Up to this point, I have been counseled by my attorney not to comment to the media concerning this tragic death of my son who I fought for months in court just to see. I have honored his wishes.
From the beginning, starting with my son’s mother, Hera McLeod, forcibly removing him from our home on July 17, 2011, my attorney and I worked endlessly with the goal of trying to be a part of my son’s life. I jumped through a myriad of hoops for the Court and complied with EVERY requirement placed upon me by Judge Algeo, the presiding judge in this case. Judge Algeo is a fine man, and a fair judge who has also been pilloried in the media for simply taking the facts he was presented with, and making a ruling based on those facts. I had many requirements I had to comply with to Judge Algeo’s satisfaction before I was even allowed supervised visitation.
That I did comply with all of the Judge Algeo’s requirements, as well as a very favorable report from the retired police officer present during the supervised visitations I was granted, was the basis for the Judge’s decision to grant unsupervised visitation. Again, his decisions were based on the facts presented to him only, not the rhetoric and unsubstantiated innuendos of Hera McLeod, Prince’s mother. Coincidently, the retired officer, Mrs. Diane Tillery was chosen by Prince’s mother to supervise my visits. In spite of that, I still received a favorable report, much to Hera’s dismay and displeasure.
I was awarded two Saturdays per month for a total of 8 hours per visit, as well as every other Wednesday afternoon for three hours if my work schedule allowed for the visit to occur. In total, I got to see my son for less than 100 hours spread over several months after not seeing him for close to a year. His mother, Hera McLeod had Prince 99% of the time, THOUSANDS of hours, but she is not at fault at all?
Some other “pertinent” FACTS of this story that have NOT been told…
The reason this whole thing could have started was due to a “fall” my son took onto the street while in his mother’s care shortly (less than a week) before I picked him up on September 8, 2012. When I picked Prince up at the safe exchange in Montgomery County as arranged by the Court that day, I immediately noticed that Prince had a significant cut on his forehead that had been closed with surgical strips in lieu of stitches. Mrs. Tillery, the same retired Police Officer chosen by Hera to handle the supervised visitation initially and was also ordered to supervise and facilitate Prince’s exchange where the parents have no direct contact during the exchange, told me that Prince had taken a “nasty fall” and cut his head, but he is “fine”. Later that day, I found out how “fine” he really was.
Prince had a seizure in my arms.
I immediately called 911 and did everything they directed me to do until the EMTs arrived. I rode with him to Prince William Hospital and signed the approval to treat form as his father.
Prince was diagnosed as having a febrile seizure. This type of seizure experienced by Prince was HEREDITARY and was passed to him through Hera and her mother who BOTH also suffered seizures as a youth.
According to www.cappuccinoqueen.com, Hera’s blog, her post dated September 11, 2012 titled “The Danger of a Psychopathic Parent in a Medical Crisis”, she stated, “he has told us all about YOUR situation and he has done all the right things by taking the child to the hospital.”
Further on in the same post Hera wrote (the “Luc” mentioned is short for Lucifer, her “pet” name for me until she replaced it with “Killer” in later posts):
“Thankfully, by the grace of God, Luc was savvy enough to call 911 when he witnessed baby boy having a seizure; however, 911 was called an hour before I was ever notified that baby boy was having a medical crisis. Luc called 911, took the trip in the ambulance, arrived at the hospital, completed the medical examination questions and intake paperwork…”
Since Hera had refused to provide me with medical records of Prince, nor notify me of the potential for seizures, I was completely unaware and helpless when the first seizure Prince had in my custody happened on September 8, 2012. I was subsequently informed by the ER Doctor at Prince William Hospital that the front part of the brain is where most seizures originate. The fact that Prince had fallen on the front part of his head, onto the street, with a skull as soft as his was at his age could have been a contributing factor for the severity of what we were told was his first seizure. This little fact was completely ignored by most of the media, and in fact some versions state that I was the cause of the cut, not Hera, in whose care he was in at the time he fell.
Even the doctors at Prince William Hospital were crippled because I could not tell them anything about Prince’s medical history, and without it could only administer the most basic and general care. The doctors also told me AND Hera that if it wasn’t for my quick response that Prince could have gone into a coma or worse. To the doctor, the seizure seemed more severe than he would have anticipated as an “initial seizure”.
On September 8, 2012 Hera and her mother took Prince OUT of Prince William Hospital even though the doctors suggested that he remain overnight. Both Hera and her mother objected and took him out of Prince William Hospital anyway.
What happened next?
Again, in Hera’s own words from the same blog post of September 11, 2012:
“Round Two – Post initial hospital visit”
“After being rushed through hospital discharge, I realized that something still appeared “off” with baby boy. He was still feverish and appeared to be struggling to walk. Though Luc didn’t notice this as odd behavior (or maybe didn’t really care), I noticed as I see baby boy on a daily basis and know what is normal for him. I was not satisfied with his treatment at the first hospital (as it was clear Luc had been running the show and lying to the staff), son I brought baby boy to a hospital closer to my house.
At first, I felt like maybe I was being a little paranoid but I couldn’t shake the feeling that something had been missed. Low and behold, about 30 minutes after baby boy was admitted into the second hospital, his fever spiked and he proceeded to have two more seizures. The hospital near my home indicated that the first hospital had been negligent in their care of baby boy as they had not ordered additional testing to identify the true cause of the seizures.”
Where was “I” in THIS series of events? Was “I” negligent or the “hospital”?
It sounds to me that from her own words that I was not involved in any negligence in anyway. And how could I be “running the show”? I stayed out of the way and let the doctors and nurses do their job.
But what about her?
She wrote that Prince appeared to be “struggling to walk”. She was letting him walk shortly after having a seizure? How negligent is that?
Because of this helplessness concerning lack of Prince’s medical history, I subsequently requested Prince’s medical records from Hera through my attorney. She refused to provide them until she was threatened with a court appearance to explain to Judge Algeo why she refused to provide them. She relented, and I received a bare bones “summary” of Prince’s records and insurance information.
According to the medical community, “ordinary” febrile seizures (which Prince suffered “initially” with me on September 8, 2012) are both hereditary and usually benign. However, more than one seizure in a 24 hour period is not considered an ordinary febrile seizure. They are then called “complex” seizures, and carry both a greater risk, and a higher degree of concern. Complex seizures could also be an indicator for epilepsy. Once seizures become “complex” seizures, ALL subsequent seizures, whether individually or in groups (such as what happened after my son Prince left Prince William Hospital on September 8, 2012) are complex seizures and should be treated as such. Whether Prince was ever tested for epilepsy, or prescribed anti-seizure medication, I do not know, nor was I ever given any medication to administer to Prince while he was in my care other than baby Tylenol for his frequent fevers, another trigger of seizures. He was a far cry from the “perfectly” healthy baby he was portrayed as by Hera to the media.
Did Hera tell the media reporting on this story that Prince had also had ANOTHER seizure the DAY BEFORE my last visitation? But they let him come anyway, assuring me through Mrs. Tillery, the exchange officer, AGAIN that he was “fine”, and that he also had another bruise on his head that both I and Mrs. Tillery noted at the time I picked him up? And WHO was negligent? Not I.
In fact, according to Hera’s post on her blog dated October 23, 2012, and titled “Rest in Peace Baby Boy”, the day before my last visit (and my son’s tragic death), Hera said that he had a seizure on the day before, and that she called the ambulance “per usual”. Per Usual? I do not know how many additional seizures he had while in her care, but she called the ambulance per usual? I have not been able to obtain Prince’s medical records from the hospital in Montgomery County where I assume he was also taken PER USUAL. I wonder why, wouldn’t you?
Here is her post, again in her own words:
8:30am Friday October 19th:
“Baby boy had been running a fever and the night before his fever had spiked again causing another seizure. I called the ambulance, per usual, and again was told that baby boy was fine and that Febrile Seizure are benign and that I should just take him into the doctors in the morning.”
Except these may not have been “ordinary” seizures. They could have been complex seizures that Hera’s “per usual” doctors could have missed as well. I am aware of 5 seizures Prince had. There were the three seizures on September 8, 2012, one on Friday October 19, 2012, and the one in my custody on October 20, 2012. Again, because of the number and frequency of these seizures, they were probably no longer simple, benign seizures. They were more likely complex seizures indicating a greater risk.
Later in the same post, again, her words:
Saturday October 20th: Morning
“…At that moment, I felt him a little warm and started to panic. I thought, ‘oh no…another fever…what if he has a seizure there.’ Then, I remembered the doctors words. I ran back to the Harris Teeter to get him some fever medication just so that I could be sure he wasn’t going to spike a fever. I then told the supervisor that I had created a log with medical information and noted the time I administered medication and told her it would be important for Luc to watch him to make sure he didn’t get another fever.”
I was told by Mrs. Tillery that he had just been given medication when I picked him up, in other words, around 10AM. Mrs. Tillery was late to the drop off and arrived around 10:20AM. Consequently, any further medication would not have been indicated until 4-6 hours later, in other words, 2PM at the earliest. Prince was still sleeping at 2PM, and his seizure (while sleeping) began shortly thereafter.
Since I have not gotten access to Prince’s medical records in Montgomery County from either the “per usual” hospital or I can also assume the “per usual” pediatrician, I can only speculate (if the media can do it, so can I) about how many additional seizures Prince had between September 8 and October 19, 2012. I would be very interested to know. Considering the other seizures came frequently and close together, how many seizures did he REALLY have while with his mother? I sure would like to know, how about you? Has Hera even been asked? If not, WHY NOT?
And out of the five seizures I am aware of, two were in my care and three were in Hera’s. And I am the only one negligent when I only got to see him every other Saturday and had limited access to any medical information, and she had him thousands of hours and was IN CHARGE of his primary medical care?
There are way too many “inconsistencies” concerning the facts in this case for the Post and others to write or produce such biased and poorly investigated articles castigating a man who fought to be a part of his son’s life. Much of the information I have outlined is PUBLIC RECORD! But did the Post and others do any “due diligence” before slamming me in the court of public opinion? Not in my book.
I should also like to point out that this is not the first time I have been accused of a crime by Hera and her family. The first time, I was not only completely exonerated, but testified at both Hera and her sister’s trials that resulted from their arrest for filing a false police report (the sister) and obstruction of justice (Hera). Again, this is public record. I however have a clean record. I am a devoted father, and far from the horrible person I have been made out to be in the media.
A quick point about my involvement concerning my mother, Alma R. Collins. My mother was suffering from early stages of Alzheimer’s. She left a two page suicide note found by the police clearly indicating why she chose to end her life as to not be “a burden” to her son. This note was retained by Prince William County Police as evidence. During this character assassination, Prince William County stepped up and denied that this was anything but a suicide and would not be reopening this case.
A quick point about the death of my oldest son’s mother, Shawn K. Mason. As mentioned in the Post “editorial”, this case has been pending for almost 10 YEARS, with no evidence that I had ANY part in her death. At the time of the initial investigation, I FULLY cooperated, took several polygraphs, gave DNA, took a gun residue test and had a clear and documented alibi with numerous witnesses and video footage as to my whereabouts at the time of her death.
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who have expressed sorrow and concern over the loss of our son, whether to me or to Hera. I am deeply touched and forever grateful to those of you who do not believe the outrageous allegations made about me. I have received many wonderful emails on my Facebook account, and I wish to express my sincere appreciation for your support. God willing, the truth will come out, and I will be found as innocent of these allegations concerning my son Prince as I am of any of the other outrageous things I have been accused of and found innocent of in the past.